Sunday, November 1, 2009



214. Blake CARLTON 22
Mary 22
Shadrack CARLTON 70 NC
Catharine 65
John S. 24
S? 20 m GA
Catharine 16

(Below) Blake Carlton
Blake and Mary resided in Coffee County for the several years.

Thir first daughter, Melissa Jane was born 19 April 1851. Their next daughter, Catherine (Kate) was born 26 January 1853. Then Great Grandfather Jerry was born 19 December 1855. The last son, Snider was born December 19, 1858. It was at this time the family moved to Texas. Blake seems to have lost his wife when they arrived in Navarro County, Texas. Mary is buried somewhere in Navarro County.

Rex filled me in on as much of the CARLTON story as he could in the two hours that we spent on the phone. He told me that Great Grandpa Jerry Carlton resided first in Navarro County, TX (as per the 1860 Census.) The kids had been separated and placed in different homes of their relatives. Jerry's Mom had died between 1858 and 1859 when Jerry was 3-4 years old.

After getting family settled, Blake Carlton, enlisted in Company I, 19th Texas Cavalry, Captain Samuel Wright commanding, camped at Barry's Mill near Raleigh. (Rex claims that Blake Carlton enlisted on 07 July 1862.)


We know what happened with BLAKE CARLTON in his service with the 19th Texas Cavalry because of a diary. It was W. T. Westmorland's recording of his Military Life. Westmoreland states:

"I enlisted in Company I of the Nineteenth Texas Cavalry which was camped at Barry's Mill near Raleigh. The officers of that Company were Samuel Wright, Captain; Bob Younger, 1st Lieut.; N. T. Sneed, 2nd. Lieut.; and R. J. Wright, 3rd. Lieut.

On June 20 this Company went into regimental camp near Dallas, Texas, at Camp Stonewall Jackson. The regimental officers of this regiment were Nat M. Buford, Col., N. H. Watson, Lieut. Col., and Joel T. Daves, Maj. We remained here until June 29th when Wiles and myself obtained a ten day leave of absence and returned home, arriving there June 30. We found our folks reasonably well situated, so when our time was out on July 8, we returned to Camp Stonewall Jackson. We arrived there July 9, and found our Company had moved to Plano.

We followed on and arrived at that place July 11. We left Plano July 13, traveling towards Paris, Texas, and camped 5 miles west of that place on Pine Creek. We remained there two days. On the 19th we passed through Paris and camped 7 miles south on Odd's Creek where we remained until July 24. We then passed back through Paris, and camped 20 miles to the north at Rutherford Springs on the Red River, where we remained until August 2. We then retraced our steps to Pirre Creek. August 3 we again passed through Paris and camped 15 miles northeast of that place.

On august 4th, 1862, we arrived at Camp Moore where we stopped two days. On the 6th we moved to Camp Wright on Red River, where we remained until August 18. On the 18th we moved down the Red Rover, and camped that night at Haley's Store.

On the 19th we camped at Pecan Bayou, about 18 miles northeast of Clarksville.... we remained at this camp until August 27. On the night of the 27th we camped near DeKalb in Bowie County; On the night of the 28th at Ellis Springs, one mile from Red River; on the night of 29th at Myrtle Springs - On August 20, we apssed out of Texas into Arkansas, and through Rondean in LaFayette County. August 31 we camped at Dooley's Ferry, on Red River. Sept 4 we moved in the direction of Camden, and arrived in 2 miles of it on Sept. 6. On Sept. 7 we passed through Camden, crossed the Washita River, and stopped at Camp Davis, 2 miles south of Camden, where we remained 9 days. On Sept. 16, we moved to Camp Little in Calhoune County, and remained there until Sept. 21.

On the night of Sept. 22, we camped near Chambersville - on the night of 23rd at Mark's Mill in Bradley County, night of 24th on Big Creek, and the night of 25th at Pine Bluff. For three days we traveled up the river, and on the 29 we camped on the North side, one mile below Little Rock, Ark. We remained at that camp until October 15. On that date we moved in the direction of Austin, Ark. and camped near there the night of the 16.

On the 19th, having obtained a leave of absence, J. F. Wiles and myself set out to visit our old friends in Independence County a distance of about 90 miles. We arrived on the evening of 19th, about 8 P.M. and stopped with an old friend and neighbor, who lived on Polk Bayou. We spent the time in visiting until October 27, when we returned to Austin to re-join our Company. We arrived back on the 29 and found the regiment had gone. We followed on, crossing White River the 30th at Des Arc, and over taking our company 3 miles north of Cotton Plant, in St. Francis County at Camp Buford. While at this place, S. R. Westmoreland joined us Nov 5, and from this on will be included in this sketch with John F. Wiles and myself.

We remained at Camp Burford until Nov. 8 when we traveled 30 miles and camped near Moro. The 9, we passed through Moro, and camped 5 miles to the south. We remained in this vicinity till the morning of the 13, when we traveled 25 miles and camped 2 miles east of Cotton Plant, where we stayed 3 days. On the 17, we moved up White Rover, and camped opposite Des. Arc, remaining there three days.

On the 20, we crossed the river and camped at Lake Bluff 2 miles above Duvall's Bluff. We remained here until Jan. 3, 1863. We then returned to Des. Arc, camping 2 miles above, on the River. About the 10, the Regiment was ordered to Arkansas Post on Ark. River. Leaving all wagons commissary supplies in the camp near Des Arc, with which the writer remained until the evening of the 13. We then received orders to move wagons to the Little Rock. After traveling 6 days through rain, mud, snow and ice, we arrived at the river 1 mile below Little Rock on January 19. We remained there 8 days. On the 27, took passage on the steamer, Chester Ashley, and reached Pine Bluff in two days, rejoining our regiment, which failed to reach Ark. Post before it was captured by General McClurnnal. So it was ordered back to Pine Bluff. On the 29 of Jan. we moved down Arkansas River 10 miles and camped for 2 days. Then we moved 5 miles further down and camped until Feb. 3, 1863. On the 4th we traveled 15 miles further down the river, and camped for 3 weeks. We occupied the negro quarters on Mrs. Clay's farm in Ark. County.

On the 27 we moved down the river 25 miles and camped 15 miles above Napoleon. On 28, camped 10 miles nearer Napoleon. Here we stayed until Mar 4 when we turned our course up the river, and traveled 12 miles and camped at the White Farm. On the 14 of March we moved 25 miles up the river to South Sand, where we camped till the 18, then we moved 15 miles further up the river on the 19th. We moved 20 miles and on the 20th we again arrived at Pine Bluff, where we remained 5 days. After crossing Arkansas River on the 25, we marched in the direction of Little Rock and arrived opposite that place on March 28. On the 29th we camped 20 miles from Little Rock. March 30 we traveled 20 miles further and camped in Conway County. March 31 we traveled 28 miles and camped on Little Red River, in Van Duren County.
April 1, 1863, we traveled 40 miles and camped on White River opposite Batesville. On Apr.2 we traveled 17 miles, Apr. 3, S. R. Westmoreland, John F. Wiles, and myself again visited our friends in Independence County. Here we remained 10 days.

On the 13 we started to rejoin our command. We traveled 30 miles and passed through Smithville, overtaking regiment on 14 on Spring River. We camped the night of the 14th on Eleven Point River, here we remained 4 days. By this time our commissary supplies were very short. We lived principally on corn bread, made without salt, and with the meal un-sifted. On the 18th of April, 1863, we passed into Missouri, camping that night at Donovan on Currant River. We arrived at Patterson the 20th, after 2 days travel. On the 21st we passed through Greenville, Mo. On the 22nd we camped near Minys River. On the 23 we swam our horses across the river and walking log placed from bank to bank, we crossed the river carrying our guns, ammunition, saddles, etc. We reached Bloomfield about midnight. Here we secured some corn and fed our horses.

We stayed at Bloomfield about two hours. Then hungry and tired as we were, we moved on to Cape Geridean, crossed Caster River about sunup - passed through Spring Hill and crossed White water River about 3 o'clock p.m. on the 24th. Here a fight had just occurred, and they were burying the dead and trying to care for the wounded. On the 25 we camped 5 miles below Cape Gergiment at which place we had an engagement with the enemy on the following day, General Marunduke commanding. Our forces were repulsed, and on retreat we passed through Jackson, Mo. having traveled all night. On the 27, we re-crossed White Water River and camped 8 miles south. On the 28 we camped 8 miles north of Bloomfield. All this time though on retreat, we were trying to check the advance of the enemy.

On the 29, we camped in Bloomfield, on the 30 we traveled 25 miles and camped. On the morning of May 1, 1863, the enemy over-took us, and we had several skirmishes during the day in which each side sustained some losses. Just before daylight on May 2, after a hard night's travel, we reached Chalk Bluff, on St. Francis River, where we crossed back into Ark. on a pontoon bridge. After all were across, we destroyed the bridge and came out on a hill and stopped to eat a badly needed breakfast. However, our meal was disturbed by the solid balls the enemy fired upon us from a hill on the opposite side of the river.

So we hastened our retreat, camping that night miles north of Scatterville. On the night of the 3rd, after another skirmish we camped 15 miles south of Gainesville, and the night of 5th, 5 miles north of Jonesborough. On the 6th we camped 5 miles south of that place, and on the night of the 7th, near Harrisburg where we rested for two days. On the 9th we traveled south 15 miles. On the 10th we traveled 15 miles and camped 4 miles east of Taylorville. The night of the 11th we camped 5 miles north of Madison. The night of the 12th we camped near Watson's farm. Here we remained 2 days, then moved 1 mile and camped on the 15th. On the 16 traveled 5 miles and camped near Taylor's Creek where we remained until the 18th.

About this time W. A. Wiles enlisted and joined our Company. On the 18 we traveled 10 miles and camped at Mrs. Jones farm, near St. Francis River where we remained 8 days. On the 26 we went to Taylorville and camped until June 1. We then moved 5 miles southeast and camped till June 6, thenmoved one mile and camped till the 10th. Then traveled 12 miles and camped 12 miles west of Longville. On the 11th we traveled 20 miles and camped near Cotton Plant, and on the 12 reached White river, opposite Des Arc. We crossed the river that night and traveled 10 miles in the direction of Brownville. On the 13 we traveled 30 miles and camped near Brownville. On the 14th we moved 3 miles. On the 15 we arrived at the Arkansas River opposite Pine Bluff, where we remained 3 days. Leaving there on the 19, we traveled 30 miles in the direction of Gaines Landing. On the 20 traveled 25 miles and passed through Green Mound and Shanghai. After traveling 12 miles on the 21, we camped for 3 days. On the 23, we moved on 25 miles and camped in Ashley County. On the 24 we traveled 12 miles and camped at Camp Barthelow near Popular Bluff.

On the 25, we traveled 20 miles, passed into the state of Louisiana and camped in Moorehouse Parrish. On the 26, we traveled 20 miles and camped on Beauf River. On the 27, we traveled 20 miles and camped on Bayou Mason. On 28, after tearing down some log houses, we built a log bridge across the Bayou on which we crossed about dark. After which we traveled all night and crossed Tensas River. On the 29 we had a fight with negro troops under command of white officers in Mississippi River bottom, a few miles below Providence.

After burning negro quarters for a distance of 10 or 15 miles along the river, the gun boats in the river began to shell us. When we retreated across Tensas River and camped two miles we camped in Madison Parish. On July 1, we traveled 10 miles and camped on Bayou Mason. We remained in the country between Floyd and Delhi until July 24. On that day we traveled 30 miles and camped on Lake LaFouche, La. On the 25, we traveled 20 miles and camped on Bayou Gallion. On 26, traveled 15 miles and crossed Lake LaFouche and camped on Blouff River, 1 mile from Girard Station. On the 27 and 28 each we traveled 25 miles, on 29th we traveled 20 miles when we arrived at Harrisonburg.

On the 30th a squad of which I was a member was sent on picket to Trinity, a distance of 11 miles from Harrisonburg. After remaining in that neighborhood for 10 days, and on the 11 of August 1863, this squad crossed the Washita River, traveled 12 miles and camped in the Tensas. On the 12th we traveled 20 miles up the river and camped at Kirk's Ferry. Here I was taken sick with fever and on the 16th was removed from picket camp to the home of Col. Wall, one mile from the ferry. I remained here 8 days before I was able to ride. On the 26th of August, 1863 I rejoined the command at harrisonburg, having traveled 20 miles. While at that place S. R. Westmoreland and W. A. Wiles were taken sick and were moved to a hospital 4 miles distance. On the 3rd of Sept. John F. and myself went out to the hospital to take car of them.

On the night of the 3rd my fever returned. The hard camp life and over exertion being too much for me. The same night the company was ordered to Alexanderia, but as we were all sick, John F., we were left in the hospital. The Federals came on the 4th and occupied Harrisonburg, and in the afternoon of the same day rode out to the hospital and captured us. Their surgeon examined us and gave us medicine. After which the commanding officer wrote a parole for each of us, and left us there. This was Colonel A. G. Molloy of the 17th Wisconsin Mounted Infantry.

We remained in the hospital until Sept. 9 when a lady - Mrs. Tatum - sent a wagon and had us moved to her home 5 miles from Harrisonburg. She took care of us until Sept 27, Feeling able to travel, we started home. We traveled 20 miles and stopped 4 miles east of Scatterville, La. On the 28th we traveled 25 miles and stopped with Mr. Meekins, 17 miles west of Little River, La.

The next morning S. R. Westmoreland was sick again. We all remained there until noon, when after a conference we decided that the Wiles boys had better go on, as one of them might be sick by the time S. R. W. was able to travel, and cause further delay. So S. R. W. and I were left behind. We stayed here for 4 days, leaving about noon on October 3rd. We traveled 17 miles. After a long and hard trip in our weakened condition, we arrived at our father's home in Hill County, Texas on October 10, 1863. The Wiles boys reached home 1 day earlier.

We stayed in that neighborhood until Feb 3, 1864 when we, with several others under command of Lieut. R. J. Wright started to join our company at Hempstead, Texas where it has been ordered sometime previous. We arrived at Camp Grace, 4 miles east of Hempstead, Feb. 10.

Here we stopped until Feb. 23 when we temporarily disbanded and made our way back home.
We arrived home on the night of February 26. The reason for disbanding was the main part of the company failed to reach Hempstead. The order to go there had been countermanded. In a few days after getting home the other boys under Lieut. Wright started again to rejoin our brigade in Louisiana. On account of being sick we failed to go with them, however, on June 24 our health being improved we too set out to enter the service again by rejoining our command.

We traveled 3 days each 5 miles, camping the first night 3 miles from Cotton Gin in Limestone County. The 2nd night, at Tailes east of Fairfield in Freestone County, and the 3rd day we met a member of Parson's Brigade, to which our company was attached at that time. He informed us that the Brigade had been ordered to Houston, so we turned and came back home, arriving there the evening of the 27th. Here we remained until July 13. The order to Houston being countermanded, we again started to Louisiana to join our command. We traveled 25 miles the first day. On the 14th we traveled 30 miles, passing again through Fairfield and camping 15 miles to the east. On the 15 we crossed Trinity River at Bonner's ferry - we traveled 30 miles and camped in Anderson County. On the 16th we traveled 20 miles and camped 5 miles west of Nacagdoches; on the 18 we traveled 20 miles. The 19th we traveled 30 miles and passed through San Augustine. On the 20th traveled 21 miles and crossed the Sabine River. We camped 5 miles east. On the 21 we traveled 25 miles. On 22, we traveled 15 miles and on the 23 we traveled 5 miles below Natchitoches. Here we remained until July 31, we then moved up the river and camped 1 mile below Natchitoches.

August 1, 1864, we moved 4 miles and camped on Red River. Here we stayed 5 days. On Aug. 6 we moved 5 miles down the river and camped on the Calhoun Farm, near the mouth of Old Cane River, where we stayed until the 12. Then we traveled 12 miles and camped near Alexandria. On the 13 we traveled 12 miles and camped near Alexandria. On the 13 we traveled 15 miles.

On the 14th we traveled 12, on the 15th we arrived in 10 miles of Harrisonburg. On the 16 we passed through Harrisonburg and crossed the Washita River 4 miles above. We camped 10 miles northeast of that place. On 17 we traveled 6 miles, on the 18, traveled 4 miles, on the 19, only 1 mile and camped for 2 days. On the 21, moved on 3 miles to Lapick's Farm, on Cicity Island. Here we remained 10 days. On August 31 we traveled 8 miles. Sept. 1, we traveled 12 miles and camped at Winsboro, on the 2nd we traveled 20 miles and camped on Blouff River. On the 3, we traveled 8 miles, and on the 4 we traveled 25 miles and camped on Oak Ridge. On the 5, we traveled 6 miles and camped on Bayou Gallion. On the 6 we traveled 14 miles and camped near Owens Ferry on Becuff River. On the 7 traveled 30 miles and camped on Bayou Bartholemew. On the 8 we traveled 10 miles - on the 9 we traveled 17 miles and passed into Arkansas and camped 5 miles north of Popular Bluff.

On the 10 we traveled 8 miles; on the 11 we traveled 15 miles - on the 12 we traveled 10 miles. On the 13, we traveled 20 miles and passed Shanghai, and camped 6 miles to the northeast. On the 14, we moved 10 miles further and camped for 2 days. On the 16 we traveled 20 miles and camped by Lenox Lake where we remained until Oct 2. On that day we traveled 10 miles. On Oct. 3, we traveled 15 miles and camped at Taylor's farm, near Bartholemow. On the 4, traveled 20 miles and passed through Shanghai, and camped at Collins farm in Drew County. On the 5, we traveled 12 miles; on the 6 we traveled 15 miles and camped near Hasburg. On the 7 we traveled 15 miles; on the 8 we traveled 23 miles and crossed Washita River at Marie Saline and camped near New London.

August 9, we traveled 20 miles and camped 3 miles east of Eldorado. On teh 10, we passed through Eldorado, traveled 10 miles west, then passed back through the same place, and camped 1 mile east of it. On 11 we again passed through Eldorado, traveled 15 miles, passed through Hillsboro and camped 3 miles east. On the 12 traveled 12 miles and camped at Moro Ferry on Washita River. On the 13 we camped near Pigeon Hill. Here we stayed 2 days. On the 15 we traveled 15 miles, passed Pigeon Hill and crossed Washita River at Moro Ferry and camped 9 miles north. On the 16 we traveled 10 miles, passed Warren and camped 8 miles north. On the 17 traveled 15 miles and camped on Saline River near Mt. Elba, where we stopped 4 days. On 21 we moved 5 miles and camped near Mark's Mill. Here we stayed 6 days. On 27 we went with a scouting party between there and Pine Bluff. Returned to camp October 30 and remained a few days. On Nov. 7 we traveled 30 miles, crossed Sabine River at Mt. Elba and camped 3 miles east of Cornerville. On the 8, we traveled 25 miles, passed through Monticello and camped near Lacy. On the 9, we traveled 8 miles crossed Sabine River at Longview, and camped 1 mile further on. On the 10, traveled 25 miles and camped at Moro, on Washita River.

On 11 we traveled 17 miles after crossing the Washita, and camped at Hillsboro, in Union County. On the 12, we traveled 10 miles; on the 13, traveled 15 miles and camped at Scottsville, La.

On the 14, we traveled 15 miles and camped at Colquit, Claiborne Parish, where we remained 2 days. On the 16, S. F. and myself visited the home of Mr. Gilmer, where we remained as guests for 8 days, leaving on the 24 to overtake our regiment. On that day we traveled 25 miles, passed Haynesville. We spend the night 15 miles north, in Columbia County, Ark. On the 25, we traveled 23 miles passed through Magnolia, and spend the night 13 miles west. On the 26, we reached our company, after traveling 25 miles, to 4 miles west of Walnut Hill. There we camped 11 days. On Dec. 7, 1864, we traveled 15 miles and passed back into La. We camped at Collinsburg. On the 8, we traveled 15 miles and camped at Benton. On the 9, we moved 12 miles and camped 3 miles above Shreveport. On Dec. 16 we arrived at Nacogdoches, Texas, where we remained 5 days. On Dec. 21, we started for Moscow in Polk County where we arrived Dec. 29, 1864. There the regiment went into winter quarters. S. R., having been in poor health for some time, secured an order and went to a hospital a short time before we reached Moscow. He remained there until he could obtain permission to go home. His health was such that he barely reached camp again before the surrender. We remained in camp at Moscow until Feb. 3, 1865.


1865 I obtained a furlough to go visit my home. I arrived home Feb. 4 and remained until March 21. I then proceeded to join my command and arrived at Camp Maverly near Maverly Texas in Walker County, on Mar. 25. We remained here 4 days. On the 29, we traveled 8 miles and camped near Danville. On the 30, we traveled 12 miles and camped for 2 days. April 1, we traveled 15 miles, passed through Montgomery and camped 6 miles to the west. April 2, we traveled 12 miles and camped on Wallace Prairie where we stayed 12 days. On the 14, we traveled 13 miles south and stopped for 2 days. On the 16, we moved 5 miles and camped at Grimes Prairie. We stayed here 6 days. On the 24th we traveled 8 miles to Anderson, then turned and traveled 5 miles in the direction of Navasota. On the 25 we passed through Navasota, crossed the Brazos river at Washington, and camped 6 miles up the river. On the 26 we retraced our steps, crossed the Brazos again at Washington and camped at Milican where we remained 2 days. On 29, we traveled 12 miles; on 30 we traveled 15 miles. On May 1 we traveled 7 miles and reached Camp Walker, where we remained 11 days.

May 12, 1865, John F. and myself obtained a seven day leave of absence to go home. We traveled 34 miles passed through Owen-Hill - Crossed the Navasota River at Comanche Crossing, and arrived at home late that evening. We remained our 7 days and started to rejoin our command. We camped that night near Horn Hill. The next day we met the other boys coming home, Our command having been disbanded while we were absent.

And so ended W. T. Westmorland's recording of his Military Life - November 8, 1861 - May 20, 1865.



Dresden's Texas CavalryCompany I, 19th Texas Cavalry Regiment

Navarro County, Texas
Navarro County Civil War Rosters Index
Col. Nathaniel. M. Bufford, C.O. (Burford?)Capt. Samuel Wright's 19th Regiment Texas Troops.

Carlton, B. Sergeant, age 34.

He enlisted in Dresden on July 7, 1862. He was 5' 10" tall, was light complexioned, had gray eyes, brown hair and was a farmer. He was born in Thomas County, Georgia.


19th Texas Cavalry RegimentConfederateTexas

Burford, Nathaniel M. Colonel
Daves, Joel T. Major Watson,
Benjamin W. Lieutenant Colonel

Shows no men killed/lost
Shows ZERO battles fought
(the above however, shows there were some skirmishes.)


I would here particularly commend Sergeant [Henry M.] Leafy, of Captain [John B.] Williams' company, Nineteenth Texas Cavalry, for his gallantry at White Water Bridge.

Report of Colonel George W. Carter, Twenty-first Texas Cavalry.

White Water Bridge

We did not find any enemy until we reached Big Creek. Lieutenant Collins, in command of a company of the Fifteenth Illinois Cavalry, was sent to burn Kendal's grist-mill on the 3d of September, when his command saw a rebel major who had a rebel escort of a lieutenant and sixteen of the Nineteenth Texas Cavalry, and captured one soldier of the party with two revolvers. The rest crossed on the east side of Big Creek and took to the canebrakes, where they escaped.

Report of Colonel John G. Hudson, Sixtieth U. S. Colored Troops. Series I, Volume XLI, part 1, page 302.


The following is the list of prisoners captured by the command: Charles E. Williams, citizen; William Guble, citizen; James F. Humphreys, citizen; T. W. Yates, discharged soldier: S.C. McComas, private Nineteenth Texas Cavalry.

Report of Colonel John G. Hudson, Sixtieth U. S. Colored Troops, Series I--Volume XLI, part 1, p. 302


After the war Blake Carlton returned home to ranch. Texas records show he registered his cattle brand 28 Feb 1867 -- (Rex says the brand was: BC)


No comments:

Post a Comment